Durham College and Uoit Magic Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Durham College and Uoit Magic Club

The home of the Durham/Uoit magic the gathering Club.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Empty
PostSubject: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2011 8:15 pm

Hey guys, just looking to get your opinion on a potential mono black EDH deck centered around vampires.
I have most of the cards listed here theres about 18 or so that I'm missing so wouldn't take much for me to get this ready to go by first club meet. The cards I'm missing are in bold print. Lemmie know what you think. I don't really have a ton of cash to go buy anything super expensive I'm even considering dropping vampire nocturnus for something cheaper as right now he seems to be sitting at around 20 bucks Sad without that this deck would only require about 40 dollars to finish (unless I can find people willing to trade for what I'm missing) and I could potentially scrape that together within a few weeks. It is most definately not anything super tournament worthy but I'd like to get in on the EDH games at the meetings and perhaps upgrade cards over time. Once again very open to critisism here so feel free to throw out some suggestions.

Vampire EDH deck

General: Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief

Basic land
x33 swamp

Special land
-piranha Marsh
-bojuka bog
-Reliquary tower

Creatures
-Child of night
-Sangromancer
-chancellor of the dross
-blood seeker
-guul draz vampire
-malakir bloodwitch
-Vampire nighthawk
-Bloodghast
-Vampire nocturnous
-Vampire hexmage
-Mirri the cursed
-Gatekeeper of Malakir
-Captivating Vampire
-Bloodhusk ritualist
-Kalitas, Bloodchief of ghet
-Kalastria Highborn
-Mephidross vampire
-Nirkana cutthroat
-Quag Vampires
-Ascendant Evincar
-Anowon, the Ruin Sage
-Butcher of Malakir
-Nirkana Revenant
-Bloodlord of Vaasgoth

Planeswalker
-Sorin Markov

Instants
-Go for the throat
-Virulent swipe
-Grasp of Darkness
-Doom blade
-Vampire's bite
-Disfigure
-Geth's Verdict
-Hideous end
-Ravenous Trap
-Terror

Sorcery
-Gruesome encore
-Mind sludge
-Corrupt
-Sign in blood
-Desecrated Earth
-Grim discovery
-Sorin's Vengence
-Assassinate
-Blood Tithe
-Disentomb
-Feast of blood
-Morbid plunder
-Despise
-Beacon of Unrest
-Reanimate
-Word of Binding
-Syphon soul

Enchantment
-Bloodchief Ascension
-Leyline of the void

Interrupt
-Songs of the Damned

Artifact
-Journeyer's Kite
-Darksteel plate
-Trailblazer's boots
-Quietus spike
-Blade of the bloodchief
-Mindcrank
-Feldon's Cane
-Lashwrithe

The Mana Curve:
1 Mana: 12 (18.75%)
2 Mana: 18 (28.13%)
3 Mana: 11 (17.19%)
4 Mana: 7 (10.94%)
5 Mana: 7 (10.94%)
6 Mana: 5 (7.81%)
7+ Mana: 4 (6.25%)

Deck breakdown by type:
Artifacts: 8 (8.00%)
Creatures: 25 (25.00%)
Enchantments: 2 (2.00%)
Land: 36 (36.00%)
Planeswalker: 1 (1.00%)
Spell: 28 (28.00%)
Other: 0 (0.00%

Last edited by DarkFenix on Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:49 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:17 am

Mono black EDH? First thought, Nightmare Lash/Lashwrithe.
Back to top Go down
Changer628
Casual Poster

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 12:18 pm

Hey!

Some cards I would recommend for you are...

Creature
Butcher of Malakir
Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief (Which I think is a better suited general, since she has a removal ability)
Ascendant Evincar
Malakir Bloodwitch
Nirkana Revenant
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 4:37 pm

I've looked at the cards you guys have posted and have made some changes to the list to reflect your suggestions.

I've removed:
2x Swamp
1x Barony Vampire
1x Khalni gem
1x Taste of blood
1x Nighthaze

in exchange I have added:

x1 Lashwrithe
x1 Butcher of Malakir
x1 Bloodlord of Vaasgoth
x1 Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief
x1 Ascendant Evincar
x1 Nirkana Revenant

I have also put anowon into the deck and upon mikes suggestion and viewing the card I have opt'd to make Drana the general.

Last edited by DarkFenix on Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:39 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : cleaning up text)
Back to top Go down
Changer628
Casual Poster

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 6:53 pm

Hey Brandyn, this totally slipped my mind. There's a new vampire coming out in Innistrad (Legendary of Course), let me link you to it.

http://forums.mtgsalvation.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=123067&d=1314495816
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:08 pm

Wow love those abilities! Plus having that red would allow me to toss some burn into the deck......very tempting. I might build it mono to start and see where the weakness' are *caugh* no artifact removal *caugh* and red could really help with that. I also have seen a few new vampires in the new set with red that I could also mix in. Ha so many options!
Back to top Go down
Changer628
Casual Poster

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Yeah, you started building this deck at the perfect time. New cards are coming out that would fit perfectly. Patriarch's Bidding is also a good card for the deck.

http://magiccards.info/on/en/161.html
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 8:46 pm

Yah that would be a nice replacement for some of the smaller GY return cards. I was also considering adding in a Damnation incase the odds are turned against me as well as Volraths stronghold. Though I think those will have to come over time as they are individually rather expensive for me.
Back to top Go down
Paladin_11111
Beginner Poster

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2011 9:44 pm

Hey. I have an entire Vampire deck I am putting into retierment, if you need cards, I have most of the ones you had in bold. Would be willing to get together, work out a trade. MONO black is an awsome way to go for EDH, my first EDH is mono black, second blue/white....working on a mono-red. Let me know.

Adam

DarkFenix wrote:
Hey guys, just looking to get your opinion on a potential mono black EDH deck centered around vampires.
I have most of the cards listed here theres about 18 or so that I'm missing so wouldn't take much for me to get this ready to go by first club meet. The cards I'm missing are in bold print. Lemmie know what you think. I don't really have a ton of cash to go buy anything super expensive I'm even considering dropping vampire nocturnus for something cheaper as right now he seems to be sitting at around 20 bucks Sad without that this deck would only require about 40 dollars to finish (unless I can find people willing to trade for what I'm missing) and I could potentially scrape that together within a few weeks. It is most definately not anything super tournament worthy but I'd like to get in on the EDH games at the meetings and perhaps upgrade cards over time. Once again very open to critisism here so feel free to throw out some suggestions.

Vampire EDH deck

General: Drana, Kalastria Bloodchief

Basic land
x33 swamp

Special land
-piranha Marsh
-bojuka bog
-Reliquary tower

Creatures
-Child of night
-Sangromancer
-chancellor of the dross
-blood seeker
-guul draz vampire
-malakir bloodwitch
-Vampire nighthawk
-Bloodghast
-Vampire nocturnous
-Vampire hexmage
-Mirri the cursed
-Gatekeeper of Malakir
-Captivating Vampire
-Bloodhusk ritualist
-Kalitas, Bloodchief of ghet
-Kalastria Highborn
-Mephidross vampire
-Nirkana cutthroat
-Quag Vampires
-Ascendant Evincar
-Anowon, the Ruin Sage
-Butcher of Malakir
-Nirkana Revenant
-Bloodlord of Vaasgoth

Planeswalker
-Sorin Markov

Instants
-Go for the throat
-Virulent swipe
-Grasp of Darkness
-Doom blade
-Vampire's bite
-Disfigure
-Geth's Verdict
-Hideous end
-Ravenous Trap
-Terror

Sorcery
-Gruesome encore
-Mind sludge
-Corrupt
-Sign in blood
-Desecrated Earth
-Grim discovery
-Sorin's Vengence
-Assassinate
-Blood Tithe
-Disentomb
-Feast of blood
-Morbid plunder
-Despise
-Beacon of Unrest
-Reanimate
-Word of Binding
-Syphon soul

Enchantment
-Bloodchief Ascension
-Leyline of the void

Interrupt
-Songs of the Damned

Artifact
-Journeyer's Kite
-Darksteel plate
-Trailblazer's boots
-Quietus spike
-Blade of the bloodchief
-Mindcrank
-Feldon's Cane
-Lashwrithe

The Mana Curve:
1 Mana: 12 (18.75%)
2 Mana: 18 (28.13%)
3 Mana: 11 (17.19%)
4 Mana: 7 (10.94%)
5 Mana: 7 (10.94%)
6 Mana: 5 (7.81%)
7+ Mana: 4 (6.25%)

Deck breakdown by type:
Artifacts: 8 (8.00%)
Creatures: 25 (25.00%)
Enchantments: 2 (2.00%)
Land: 36 (36.00%)
Planeswalker: 1 (1.00%)
Spell: 28 (28.00%)
Other: 0 (0.00%
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 11:52 am

Awesome if you still have the cards shortly after the release of the new block I'd totally be interested in trading for them. Until then though I'm reluctant to trade for many of them that are sitting in standard as I'm imagining some of their values will fall (fingers crossed Razz ) when they rotate out in about a weeks time.
Back to top Go down
Paladin_11111
Beginner Poster

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2011 1:16 pm

Ok, let me know, and we can figure out a time and place to meet and discuss a suitable trade.
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2011 4:28 pm

Hey Paladin would the oct 4th meeting work for you?
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeWed Sep 28, 2011 10:47 am

Oh-ho ho, another vampire player. pirat

We should totally do flavourful team games, that would be awesome.

I'm so drafting up a new format for Casual. Brb necroing my threads.
Back to top Go down
https://durhamuoitmtg.darkbb.com/forum.htm
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 9:33 am

I just recently played 2HG against two mono white soldier decks. That was not fun. Luckily game two was an absolute slaughterfest. Very Happy I want to do more flavourful stuff, but maybe more colour based over tribe. We still have yet to do a star magic game.

On Topic: Do you find your mana curve isn't too right skewed? (Assuming 1 is on the left and 7+ is on the right.)
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 9:38 am

I changed the focus of this deck a few weeks back it eventually became the maga, trailor to mortals EDH deck that I have. Though it wasn't very right skewed since a lot of the zendikar vampires are fairly cheap (bloodghast, blood seeker, child of night, viscera seer, vampire interloper,guul draz vampire,blood throne,ect). Though some of them aren't great choices and you can easily throw in some lower cost instants, and enchantments for fun.
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Right skewed means all on the left. I was worried it was too low costed.
Back to top Go down
DarkFenix
Casual Poster
DarkFenix

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeSat Nov 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Nah there are some more expensive vampires in the 4-5 range like nocturnus, anowon,malikar bloodwitch, sengir,nirkana reverant, bleak coven vampires,ect ect lol

at the very high end though your right there isn't much but you can add other fun things like blightsteel, dread, nightmare, an eldrazi lol
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitimeSun Nov 06, 2011 12:41 am

I understand the nightmare and the dread, but the blightsteel and eldrazi just aren't flavourful enough for me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)   Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Opinions on Mono Black EDH deck (Vampires of course)
Page 1 of 1