Durham College and Uoit Magic Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Durham College and Uoit Magic Club

The home of the Durham/Uoit magic the gathering Club.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!

Go down 
5 posters

Would you want this idea to see play?
Any card
Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_lcap17%Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
Any Creature
Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_lcap33%Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Any Permanent
Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_lcap33%Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_rcap
 33% [ 2 ]
Any Legendary Permanent
Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_lcap17%Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_rcap
 17% [ 1 ]
God no, none of them!!
Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_lcap0%Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 6

AuthorMessage
Acalia
"I'm Curly, Curly Brace!"
Acalia

Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Empty
PostSubject: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 3:58 pm

Here's what we got so far:

I name this format, EDH++ (EDH plus plus).

A lot of the current generals have very boring abilities. Some other cards can certainly give you something new and exciting, but they're just not legendary creatures so they don't work in standard EDH! Well this fixes that. This mode is to expand the selection of generals you have, so you can pick up something really exciting. The idea is to find something really wacky that does something out of the ordinary, instead of a boring creature that'll only be attacking and nothing more. But of course, there will be people who'll still wanna pick the most unfair cards they can think of. So in sight of that, you should ALWAYS ask your playgroup if it's ok for you to use that card as a general. I highly suggest you keep a "backup" Legendary Creature general in the deck just in case your playgroup doesn't like your EDH++ general, or just in case they wanna play good ol regular EDH!

So here's a run down:
All Creature Cards are allowed.
All Artifact Cards are allowed.
All Enchantment Cards are allowed.
All Land Cards are allowed.

Planeswalker Cards are NOT allowed.
Instant Cards are NOT allowed.
Sorcery Cards are NOT allowed.

Extra Turn Cards are typically frowned upon.
Setting Life Total Cards are typically frowned upon.
Continual Counterspell Cards are typically frowned upon.
Tutor Cards are typically frowned upon.

The following cards are banned as your general (they can be in the deck if EDH allows it, just not the general):
Mindslaver - No.
Legacy Weapon - All 5 colours makes this card as a general a little too strong.
Academy Ruins - Recursion is too stronk. Remember, this is also difficult to remove off of the board AND you can't counter it.
Eye of Ugin - Search is too stronk. Remember, this is also difficult to remove off of the board AND you can't counter it.
Gaea's Cradle - Too much mana too early. Remember, this is also difficult to remove off of the board AND you can't counter it.
Serra's Sanctum - Too much mana too early. Remember, this is also difficult to remove off of the board AND you can't counter it.
Volrath's Stronghold - Recursion is too stronk. Remember, this is also difficult to remove off of the board AND you can't counter it.
Meddling Mage - WU, shut down target general. Not fun.
Realm Razer - With white in its colours, this guy has the ability to remove all lands forever. Not fun.
Serra Ascendant - Even with the first 3 casts, this card is still at a stupid power. W for a 6/6 Flying Lifelink EVERY GAME is not fun.
Knight of the Reliquary - Gets stronger for finding you better lands? That's kinda gay.
Goblin Recruiter - Stronk.
Stoneforge Mystic - I myself was a bit iffy on this one, but alas I think it's too powerful.
Worldgorger Dragon - Too easy to break the game consistently.

PS. Can anyone think of any creature cards that need to be banned? Basically if it's not a fun creature to play with, it probably won't be allowed.

Last edited by Acalia on Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:43 pm; edited 15 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://zd.hopto.org/
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:01 pm

Could also have poll option for any creature as general. or any legendary permanent.
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 4:32 pm

scottrosenquist wrote:
Could also have poll option for any creature as general. or any legendary permanent.
There. You can also vote for multiple sections if you like.
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSat Dec 17, 2011 11:58 pm

scottrosenquist wrote:

you just want genju
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 12:00 am

Brb Building a deck based around Conflux...

or Vampiric tutor

I assume the regular EDH banlist applies right?
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 8:05 am

Havens wrote:
scottrosenquist wrote:

you just want genju

Because Genju SHOULD be a legal general. He does NOTHING else. Bah! Humbug!
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:08 am

Nephilim 4 color generals?

Crucible of Worlds General?

INVISIBLE STALKER GENERAL???
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:13 am

Ha, Crucible general won't be able to take advantage of fetch lands. Razz
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:22 am

No, it'll be able to take advantage of EVERY LAND DESTRUCTION LAND EVER PRINTED.
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeSun Dec 18, 2011 9:28 am

All 5. And I'm pretty sure this is to enable more flavour, not so that people can break stuff. People already break stuff.

Off Topic: I read about people building $50 EDH decks, with $4/card max. This sounds like a great exercise in deck building. Anyone else think it's a neat idea? It would really bring out all the really fun jank stuff. I should probably make this it's own post...
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 4:23 pm

scottrosenquist wrote:
Off Topic: I read about people building $50 EDH decks, with $4/card max. This sounds like a great exercise in deck building. Anyone else think it's a neat idea? It would really bring out all the really fun jank stuff. I should probably make this it's own post...
How the hell do you only spend $50 on a deck?... I use jank stuff and I still spend a good $100-200 on my EDH decks.
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 4:30 pm

Also, for some further verification... Yes. EDH rules will always override this formats rule.

So no Metalworker general, sorry.

Also, we may have to implement a few bans if someone can think of a stupid easy combo with one of the cards. If we went the "Any card" route, some of the tutors would need to be banned, along with all of the cards that say "take an extra turn" basically. Like Scott (skautt?) said, it's for fun.

I wont lie, I want that adorable little Gilder Bairn as my general. Is he powerful? Probably not in my hands. Can he be? Well of course. Is he cute? Fuck yea he is! But seriously, he's been a card that I've wanted to play as a general since either we started playing EDH or since Eventide came out, I can't remember which one came first for our playgroup...

So far the vote's seem to be going for any creature, maybe it'll stay that way? But in the long run, if everyone at the table you sit down with is ok with it then the bottom line is it'll be fine to play it like that. This thread was mostly to get some attention out there, maybe other people have long wanted a deck out of a legendary card, or out of a non-legendary creature!
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 4:59 pm

CHIMNEY IMP GENERAL!
Back to top Go down
https://durhamuoitmtg.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 8:57 pm

As much as I hate mono white, I may end up building a mono white edh deck... Mesa Enchantress is good, no?

A win con thats also my engine, not too shabby
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Also, if it is possible to put in another option, could you add in a plansewalker as a general?
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 9:36 pm

Planeswalker... That might be a bit overpowered. Both Karn and Nicol Bolas are both quite stronk.
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 4:15 pm

Suggestion for the mode

All Creatures
All Legendary Enchantments
All Legendary Artifacts

Mindslaver is banned as your general.

EDH bans still override (and/or add on to) any bans listed here. Sound good?
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 6:26 pm

Legendary permanent makes sense to me. It's still a named individual item of great power. Oh jeez, we may have to say no to lands though, unless someone can do it in an unbroken way. Gaea's Cradle or Tolarian Academy whenever they want, hells no. If someone wants to play Tomb of Urami as there general, by all means. I want the format to be competitive, but I don't want the format to be degenerate.
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeWed Dec 21, 2011 3:58 am

scottrosenquist wrote:
Legendary permanent makes sense to me. It's still a named individual item of great power. Oh jeez, we may have to say no to lands though, unless someone can do it in an unbroken way. Gaea's Cradle or Tolarian Academy whenever they want, hells no. If someone wants to play Tomb of Urami as there general, by all means. I want the format to be competitive, but I don't want the format to be degenerate.
Well Tlolololarian Academy is banned... So no, they can't do whatever the hell they want. I didn't say legendary lands almost solely because of Gaea's Cradle... and if you ban Cradle as a general who's gonna run a legendary land?!

Let's have a quick look here, basically this format is gonna stretch the bounds of EDH out one more step (We can already run Legendary Creatures, so it gets stretched out to Creatures... We can't currently run Land/Artifact/Enchantments, so it'll allow us to run Legendary of all of those. Since there is no Legendary instants/sorceries we're good). In short, All Legendary Cards, and All Creatures.

Now, for lands.
*Academy Ruins - Mono Blue. Could be OP with the recursion, but probably insanely OP if you ask me.
Boseiju, bla bla bla - Colorless. Not OP. If you guys can name me one colorless competative EDH deck then go ahead, Karn is NOT competative!
Dark Depths - Also Colorless. Not OP.
*Eye of Ugin - BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! This could actually get powerful, they getta search for ANY colorless creature. OP? Maybe.
Flagstones of Trokair - Enh. It's not like you can play your general twice, so it's not OP.
*Gaea's Cradle - It DOES need creatures... I dunno... If green gets going it's stupid OP. We'll need a vote on this ban.
KHER KEEP - EVERYPONY NEEDS TO BACK THE FUCK UP! KHER KEEP JUST WALKED IN AND WANTS SOME SPACE BOYS!!!
Serra's Sanctum - Nowhere near the powerlevel of Gaea's Cradle.
Shivan Gorge - If you even looked at this card you're a troll.
The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale - 1. If you can afford this card give me some money. 2. Not exactly as OP as it looks in EDH.
Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth - You're only helping your enemies with this... Why...
*Volrath's Stronghold - This I could actually see being a problem.

I put a * beside the ones I think might actually need a ban.

So here's a run down:
All Legendary Cards plus All Non-Legendary Creature Cards

Mindslaver is banned as your general.
Some other bans required.

Last edited by Acalia on Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 3:03 pm

Acalia wrote:

Shivan Gorge - If you even looked at this card you're a troll.

Uhh, Its consistent damage to everyone who isnt you, that you can get out over and over again should they waste it. In a mono red EDH deck it is a mana sink, meaning you can just put any leftover mana you have into it at the end of someones turn. Considering the length of some EDH games, this could potentially deal quite a bit of damage. Also if you use land untapping abilities such as Candelabra of Tawnos among other things
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 3:38 pm

Havens wrote:
Also if you use land untapping abilities such as Candelabra of Tawnos among other things
If you can buy the Candelabra of Tawnos, then you're just trolling twice as hard!
Back to top Go down
Acalia
Acalia

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 3:40 pm

Big ol by the way

I've started building my deck for this. I have a legendary creature in the deck that's the same colours as my general just in case no one wants to play that format Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!   Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Game Suggestion! Any General Goes!!!
Page 1 of 1