Durham College and Uoit Magic Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Durham College and Uoit Magic Club

The home of the Durham/Uoit magic the gathering Club.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Cheap Standard Options

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

Cheap Standard Options Empty
PostSubject: Cheap Standard Options   Cheap Standard Options Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 1:59 pm

So, I have been bored as hell this summer so far. We had one proposed Magic Club Summer Meetup, and that never materialized. So I am looking to join some of the local Standard tournaments. I am open for suggestions from the club on what to build.

I have some mostly standard legal decks right now, and am looking for cheap ways to expand them, or rogue deck ideas that are cheap yet powerful, and use more of the reprints that are available. I've got a monthly budget of $20 for hobby related stuff.

Also, does anyone currently play at the weekly standard tournaments at either Skyfox Games or Worlds Collide?

Thanks,

Super Bored Magic Player
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Standard Options   Cheap Standard Options Icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2011 9:26 pm

I can't enter weekday tournaments anymore sadly (the 9-5 job thing kinda tears a hole in that plan) but I can always offer suggestions:

Red Deck Wins is currently Mr. Win, and it's relatively cheap to build. 4-ofs of a ton of the best standard burn spells, a Koth if you own one, and maybe some Hasty sideways-turners (Goblin Guides are a must, and only cost around $5 apiece these days). If you want something cheap and winning, it's the deck to run.

Check out the Wizards and GathererMagic articles if you're interested in additional info, alternatively there's deckcheck.de for decklists and whatnot. Showing up to watch a tournament and asking players questions is also a pretty good way to learn a thing or two about the current meta, the guys are often pretty helpful (both the players and the staff) all you have to do is be friendly and don't bug them while they're in the middle of a match.

I'd help more but unfortunately I am not quite as up to date as I used to be on the Standard format, although I hear U/B control, even post-Jace2.0-banning is doing pretty well (although with the current mana base and need for Jace1.0 playsets it might be a tad on the pricey list for a budget decklist).

Hope that helps!
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Standard Options   Cheap Standard Options Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2011 4:32 pm

My vamps have been doing not too badly, considering I don't have any bloodghasts or fetch lands. Bob said he might have 4 bloodghasts he can lend me, if he can find them.

I wonder if anyone can lend me any verdant catacombs or marsh flats
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Standard Options   Cheap Standard Options Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2011 10:16 am

Oh the joys of money...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Cheap Standard Options   Cheap Standard Options Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Cheap Standard Options
Page 1 of 1