Durham College and Uoit Magic Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Durham College and Uoit Magic Club

The home of the Durham/Uoit magic the gathering Club.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread

Go down 
+5
Black Flamingo
Havens
Draxsiss
Rawr Bucket
V
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
V
Executive
V

The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Empty
PostSubject: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 2:20 pm

Here are the rules for EDH for anyone wishing to build a deck:

-----
OFFICIAL EDH RULES
-----

-Steven-

[Original First Post:]
In the current fervor of things, we should start an EDH section of the forums.

Have strategies, rules, debates, Generals (and reservations), ideas, formats.

Would anyone be interested in more EDH?

Pssssst, Steve, Campaign Razz

Last edited by Sentics on Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:36 pm; edited 10 times in total (Reason for editing : Added EDH rules)
Back to top Go down
https://durhamuoitmtg.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 11, 2009 10:44 pm

Yes, that's a good idea. For now we can stick to this thread, but if we start to grow the topics out I can set up a new section.

Btw, my general is Child of Alara for anyone who hasn't heard my rants and raves yet. Bob's got Mr. Russian 5 colour dragon general (I forget his name since I can never read it on the card). Dan's working on a Sliver Legion general deck.

Once we have 4 players with decks I'd like to start seeing some EDH multiplayer going. We could even have an in-house ongoing challenge mini-tournament or something (Volpe, I could work this into some sort of campaign, even add prizes ^_^). We shall see, it depends on participation levels.
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeThu Feb 12, 2009 12:42 am

I am still in testing, but my Current Tentative General will be
the Lord of Secrets himself, Szadek Very Happy or... The Big Baron Sengir

EDIT: Baron Sengir is mine >=D

Last edited by V on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 12:56 am

I don't know the rules of doubleposting, but because it is off the last posts topic...

Debateable House Rules for EDH:
--------------------------------------
Phage the Untouchable CAN be played as a general from your RFG (without losing).
Cards that say a colour (ie: Soul Burn) as a cost, but do not show a symbol, don't count as using the colour.
Using another player's EDH deck gives you a free mull.

Discuss, and add/criticize.
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 6:17 am

Phage I'm going to have to look into, because of the nature of her ridiculousness. The other two we'll chalk up to house rules at the very least as being ok.
Back to top Go down
Draxsiss
Microposter

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 13, 2009 5:32 pm

why does useing another players edh deck give you a muligan why not you all get a free muligain reguardless?

side not I think I am going to try and make a deck for this format.... general... need to check up on some of legends for that one.
Back to top Go down
Draxsiss
Microposter

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 7:49 am

* Balance
* Worldgorger Dragon
* Biorhythm
* Sway of the Stars
* Upheaval
* Panoptic Mirror
* Crucible of Worlds
* Ancestral Recall
* Black Lotus
* Moxen
* Time Walk
* Library of Alexandria
* Yawgmoth's Bargain
* Coalition Victory
* Kokusho, the Evening Star
* Recurrning Nightmare
* Limited Resources
* Protean Hulk (Added September 1, 2008)
* Karakas (Added September 1, 2008)
* Riftsweeper (Added September 1, 2008)
* Grindstone (Added September 1, 2008)
* Lion's Eye Diamond (Added September 1, 2008)
- Test of Endurance (Removed September 1, 2008)
* Time Vault (Banned Dec 18, 2008)

Current ban list for EDH

A request/food for though?

Can I play an artifact as a general or have a creature with an off mana cost ability and have any of its colure mana cost abilitys counts as casting cost ? example could I have Ryos the exiled and be able to play green AND black (since it has a black mana activated ability)

Do we want to allow the Un sets to be legal?

should we allowcate a card maximum value cash to deck thingy similar to our max of $50 proxie mayabe only allow cards that cost say 25$ max for our casual group?
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 12:49 pm

Artifacts can be generals (But you get no colours)

As for your Ryos example, the rule is it needs to be in the casting cost... last time I checked.

Its a loophole, you can play ur general with a black ability (even though hes green) but you still cant produce black.

As for the ban list, thats more or less it.

Ryfellos (or whatever that elf is) CANNOT be your general.

General MUST be a legendary creature, NOT legendary enchantments.

Can I suggest banning a combo here? Isochron Scepter + Pull from Eternity? Pain in the ass, as you can do it in response to them summoning their general.

In answer to your question, Mulligans stack according to Steve Razz

Last rule, your General CANNOT be the same General as another player who made the deck or called his general before you.
Back to top Go down
Draxsiss
Microposter

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSat Feb 14, 2009 1:04 pm

bummer I wanted Menarch to be my general (and be able to play blue Sad )

On a side note however I have made a deck Tiga (blue legendary dragon from Kamgawa) is my general.

afew other questions....

generals are immune to the legondary rule yes or no?

can I play a card that is someone elses general in my deck (but not as my general) example could you put a sliver queen in your deck just to hit dan's ect?

do we play with flavor timelineness (example I can't have Jeska, and phase and Krona in play because they are the same person) can I have Acroma angel of wrath and acroma angel of fury in play at the same time ect?

also I request we ban sphen soul/mind they are freaking broken in multiplayer.... hitting everyone and getting you some sweet stuff in the process similar to that black dragon.
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 11:17 am

Ok, so V was right for the most part, but the part about using a General with symbols outside it's colours is not permitted, for example, Rys the Exiled CANNOT be used because it is mono-green and it has a black symbol.

The mulligan stacking is a house rule I employ, just because with big multiplayer games nobody wants to start with a 5-land hand. However, don't abuse this leniency with the mulls (ie run a deck with way too little land and mull till you get 4 in hand, etc.)

As for Generals and the Legendary rule, this is how it goes:

Other players may employ someone else's General in their deck, BUT if both are in play simultaneously the non-general is sacrificed as a state-based effect as per legendary rules, but the general isn't.

As for the 'flavour' you mentioned, no. It's interesting, but considering 90% of the players in our meta haven't read the books (including myself) and the fact that there's nothing in any ruling about it, I'm not going to go there. Plus, it messes up some people's plays (ie Bob returning Rorox Bladewing with Rorox the Risen, etc. which HAS been done within the last week).

And the banned general's name is Rofellos, Llanowar Emmisary if anyone wanted to know ^_^
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSun Feb 15, 2009 12:39 pm

I vote no to banning Syphon spells...
as they are the brunt of my deck >.>

The Black Dragon is banned for numerous reasons. Mainly due to his broken nature and the ability to recur him EVERY turn.

Syphon spells hit once and thats it... plus they make you a target.
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 20, 2009 11:14 pm

Could Jhoira of the Ghitu work as a general?

Also, the rules about only having the mana that your general has... does that mean I wouldnt be able to produce mana to play say.. a green creature, but id still be able to have it in my deck? or i wouldnt be able to have anything outside of the colours my general has in the deck?

I was just thinking, using Jhoira, then putting big green, black and white (aswell as blue, red and artifact) in the deck, and just playing them through her suspend ability...
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeWed Feb 25, 2009 2:46 pm

Sorry for the slow respose.

Ya you can use her as a general... BUT you cannot have anything that has Green, Black or White Symbols in the card!

This is because you cannot produce or have anything outside your general's colours!

So be careful which lands you run as well.
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeFri Feb 27, 2009 2:15 pm

Here's the EDH rules as found online: OFFICIAL EDH RULES

I also updated the first post to include the link.

Edit: Updated first post again to include reserved general list. Add your general by posting here!
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSun Mar 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Sweet!
Nice addition mang Very Happy

Makes things a bit easier.

If you have any questions or comments as to how EDH should be played, please do not hesitate to ask.
Back to top Go down
Black Flamingo
Microposter
Black Flamingo

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeMon Mar 02, 2009 11:00 am

I'm currently piloting a Sygg, river cutthroat, deck.

Just so no one tries to steal my fishy leader.
Back to top Go down
http://www.grueslair.com
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:13 pm

Thank you to all who came out last night, especially those who played that epic EDH game Razz

After a handful of suprising plays, crazy topdecks, politics through the roof and a suspenseful game overall, we had Steve emerge as a winner with his Child of Alara deck against all odds Razz.

I'll get you next time! Next time I won't have mercy with the Baron Wink
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Oh, what an amazing game that was, and like V said, thanks to those who participated. I still can't believe I managed to cheat a Progenitus into play through a Lotus Petal, Mosswart Bridge into a Conflux, into a Dragon Arch. Damn that Arch saved my ass Razz

Oh, and Sygg is added.
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 4:47 pm

i wonder how it would have went if i had have cut my deck, instead of letting steve have the last shuffel Razz

i could have pulled out a syphon life, or whatever the card was :/

bah
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeTue Mar 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Lol I'll tell you what,
next time, I promise I won't go berserk and let you take second...

Maybe Razz
Back to top Go down
Havens
Extended Poster
Havens

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeThu Mar 05, 2009 4:34 pm

V wrote:
Lol I'll tell you what,
next time, I promise I won't go berserk and let you take second...

Maybe Razz

we both tied second again :/
Back to top Go down
Draxsiss
Microposter

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSat Mar 21, 2009 10:38 am

NOTICE change of General!

Patricks' General is not long Kegia Blue tide dragon..

Patricks NEW General is Lawan Celphed Empress.
Back to top Go down
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster
scottrosenquist

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeSun Mar 29, 2009 7:03 pm

Say I'm in the process of building a deck, but have yet to aquire the general...does that count? Are we allowed to proxy before we can pick it up. Also some cards I'm wanting to include are expensive, but not necessarily world-breaking, whats the highest number of proxies in a deck? I may be able to proxy enough to complete it. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
V
Executive
V

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 12:55 am

From personal experience I can say that proxies are generally allowed, within reason.
The rule is 1/10 of a deck can be proxies for most playgroups in EDH, but I think there is some leaniency in ours.

You can Proxy a general, Aiden has done so a few times, as long as there is no problems with the other players. (Try to get it sooner rather than later Razz...Psstt we can take a trip to World's Sometime this week, I wanna finish my deck too Razz)

As long as you're not running around proxying things like Mishra's Workshop I think it should be ok.

-Unofficial Decree of EDH?

We'll know a bit better once a more administrative like person d00d gets a chance to read this.
Back to top Go down
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster
Rawr Bucket

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitimeMon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 am

Yeah, I personally don't mind EDH proxies unless it's expensive stuff like legacy duals and such. The general rule is proxy what you intend to buy/obtain.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread   The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Official Durham/UOIT EDH Thread
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next