Durham College and Uoit Magic Club

The home of the Durham/Uoit magic the gathering Club.

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Every step of a turn

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Every step of a turn   Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:47 pm

I thought this would be a good place to discuss/list every step that you would take in a turn in Magic: The Gathering.

I have seen both new and experienced players skip over some of these steps, or even do them in the wrong order when there are cards in play that are affected by the order of things.

One of these steps that many players seem to rush into is the Combat Step. Now, I know many people when they feel they have their chance to swing with their big nasty Creature or their army of goblins, they want to rush into it and attack someone right when they get their chance. I've done it, and it has bitten me in the ass.

And from that experience I have learned, I have learned to slow things down. When I want to attack someone (or everyone), I do whats called "Declaring my Attack Step". What this does is, it gives people a chance to respond by tapping down my attacker with something like Gideon's Lawkeeper so that I am unable to attack with whatever creature it targets.

An instance where this would be important is when playing with creatures with Exalted. When you declare your attack, the exalted bonuses haven't been added yet, because you aren't attacking yet. It gives your opponents the chance to respond by Bolting one of the creatures before it gets too big to deal with.

For reference this is a guide for every part of a turn, click the spoilers for each section.

Beginning Phase

Spoiler:

First Main Phase (Also known as Precombat Main Phase)

Spoiler:

Combat Phase

Spoiler:

Second Main Phase (Also known as Post Combat Main Phase)

Spoiler:

Ending Phase

Spoiler:

I hope this post was helpful. Anything posted is open for discussion, and feel free to post any questions.

Well, that took a million years

Last edited by Havens on Tue Nov 08, 2011 3:48 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Fixing typos)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Acalia
"I'm Curly, Curly Brace!"

PostSubject: Re: Every step of a turn   Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:12 pm

Took me a second to see how Spoilers work there, very nice post though. Could prove to be amazingly helpful!

Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Every step of a turn   Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:16 pm

Acalia wrote:
Took me a second to see how Spoilers work there, very nice post though. Could prove to be amazingly helpful!

I hope a lot of people read over it, it will definitely help people do better in the tribal tournament. (I hope)

Also, I love using spoilers, they are so fucking useful for hiding giant blocks of text that would otherwise look unreadable
Back to top Go down
View user profile
V
Executive

PostSubject: Re: Every step of a turn   Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:39 pm

You forgot about phasing during the untap step. I am sad player.

"Beast. Defiler. The source of all my pain"
-Ihsan's Shade on Baron Sengir
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://durhamuoitmtg.darkbb.com/forum.htm
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Every step of a turn   Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:50 pm

V wrote:

Phasing is keyworded to apply during the untap step, before cards are untapped. There is no priority. No triggers are affected by permanents phasing in or out.

You'd find that in the keywords section though, not the phases/steps as it technically isn't a phase, step, or additional process. It just happens, much in the same way morph creatures are turned face up. It's called a special ability, and not many of them exist in magic.

Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Every step of a turn   Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:50 am

Rawr Bucket wrote:
V wrote:

Phasing is keyworded to apply during the untap step, before cards are untapped. There is no priority. No triggers are affected by permanents phasing in or out.

Leaving Phasing out of the untap step section was part of the same reason I left Banding out of the blockers step, it isn't always going to be in every turn of every game and as stated above they are keywords. There was no need to add confusion to the basic turn.

I may make a post about it another time though, after a bit of research.

Besides, have you ever seen anyone using phasing or banding other than us and aiden?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Every step of a turn   

Back to top Go down

Every step of a turn
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1