Durham College and Uoit Magic Club

The home of the Durham/Uoit magic the gathering Club.

HomeFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Changer628
Casual Poster

PostSubject: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:36 pm

Which ones do you prefer, and why? I want to build a standard deck and I'm wondering which lands to use. Most decks online use the scars one, but in my opinion I think the M10 ones are better. What are your thoughts on this?
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:42 am

Changer628 wrote:
Which ones do you prefer, and why? I want to build a standard deck and I'm wondering which lands to use. Most decks online use the scars one, but in my opinion I think the M10 ones are better. What are your thoughts on this?

I like the scars ones because for turn one, you get both colours, in certain decks with a lot of early game one/two drops of different colours I imagine that the scars lands are better. (Since the format is currently very fast, until next weekend at least)

The M10/Innistrad duals are better later into the game, when you need those lands untapped for the higher casting game breaking cards. (or for having mana open to pay for the leak)

I think it really depends on the deck, and its tempo

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Changer628
Casual Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:30 am

I'm looking at building Bant Pod at the moment. The decks I see online run Razerverge Thicket and Seachrome coast. I don't see the point, as the only turn one play you have is Llanowar Elves and Birds of Paradise, so it makes more sense to me to run a few more forests (like maybe 2), and then run the Sunpetal Groves and Glacial Fortress'
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:51 pm

Scars duals are better if your curveout is around 3-4. I find that the core set lands are better in midrange and lategame decks.

Honestly though, I'd run 6-7 duals anyway, so you're probably going to want both. Just keep an eye on your basic count to make sure those core lands are always coming in unfettered.

Also, are you running additional nonbasics (Ghost Quarter, etc.)? If so, scars lands are more useful as they do create a much more stable early game for combo setup and early denial (remembering though that the format's going to be a bit slower now, creating the question of whether or not you need to be set up by turn 3).

Ultimately I'll need to see some online lists before I have a solid answer.

Casual Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Mon Sep 26, 2011 5:39 pm

Rawr Bucket wrote:

Honestly though, I'd run 6-7 duals anyway, so you're probably going to want both. Just keep an eye on your basic count to make sure those core lands are always coming in unfettered.

You think running both is viable? I was always under the impression that they were counterproductive. Now that the fetches are gone, it DOES free up some deck space, though.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Rawr Bucket
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:15 am

If you're running 2 colour you want 6-7 mana fixers. The fetchlands and manlands used to fill this void but as they are rotating you need both or else you'll wind up colorscrewing yourself.

Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:27 am

Rawr Bucket wrote:
If you're running 2 colour you want 6-7 mana fixers. The fetchlands and manlands used to fill this void but as they are rotating you need both or else you'll wind up colorscrewing yourself.

unless you are running enemy colours..
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Changer628
Casual Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:58 am

I suppose you're right with the colour screwing part. It's actually Bant Pod, so there are 3 colours involved. I think I'm running 9 colour fixers at the moment. i have yet to test the deck, so I'm not sure how that'll work out yet. Once I grab all the pieces, and proxy the few remaining cards, I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
krzywlf
Beginner Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:34 pm

Heres how a lot of people look at it.. During turn 1 or 2, if you manage to get a full hand of duals, what would you rather have? M12 duals or scars? m12 will come in to play tapped therefore slowing down your early game, while scars come into play untapped. Scars late game dont hurt much coming into play tapped, but getting a tapped land early game could make a big difference, especially when playing a very aggressive deck.

As for the a slower meta, So far ive seen otherwise. Seems like a lot of aggressive decks are popping up. (humans, rdw, werewolves, vampires, tempered steel, and a few more i cant recall) Some are predicting an aggresive meta, though control doesnt seem to be devoid from the picture. I wouldnt be surprised to see more aggressive early season due to the relative ease of construction and the low costs of deck building.(Pretty sure rdw decklists are under $100 to peice)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Mon Oct 31, 2011 3:14 pm

I don't play tourney Magic, but the Scars duals are worth more, so I figure on average more tourney players are playing them.

And that's my $2E-2.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:44 pm

scottrosenquist wrote:
I don't play tourney Magic, but the Scars duals are worth more, so I figure on average more tourney players are playing them.

And that's my $2E-2.

I think the reason they are worth more (like the innistrad duals) is the fact that they have only been printed in a single set, unlike the M10 duals which have been printed in 3 core sets in a row.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
scottrosenquist
Standard Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:56 pm

They're still more expensive than the Innistrad lands.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Tue Nov 01, 2011 2:05 pm

scottrosenquist wrote:
They're still more expensive than the Innistrad lands.

I didn't mean the innistrad and scars duals are the same price, I was just comparing the similar higher price than the M10 duals

The benefit of the scars duals is the early game 2 colour option, which I think a lot of decks in standard need. I think GW humans needs it, the same for UW hexblade.

But like I've said before, I'd run both
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Acalia
"I'm Curly, Curly Brace!"

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:01 am

I've actually found the scars duals hurting quite a bit late game for me. Having it come into play tapped is just devastating sometimes.

Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:43 pm

Acalia wrote:
I've actually found the scars duals hurting quite a bit late game for me. Having it come into play tapped is just devastating sometimes.

This reinforces a previous post I made. It depends on the deck you run, whether you want early game untapped duals or late game untapped duals. Which ever suites your deck more is of higher value to you.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Havens
Extended Poster

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   Mon Nov 14, 2011 4:36 pm

So, I have some new thoughts on this after going on a standard deck building binge (Okay, so I made three decks, not quite a binge but whatever).

If you are going a 2 colour deck that is allied. Run both, it will not hurt you unless you are heavy on 4+ casting spells. I have a 2 coloured deck built, it is running 4 of each, then the innistrad allied colour tech land.

If you are going 3+ colours then find a balance between the two, maybe scars for allied colours then the innistrad dual for the enemy. These choices would depend heavily on the focus of your deck.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals   

Back to top Go down

Scars Duals vs. M10 Duals
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1